You know a meal is good when all you can hear from the people eating it is ‘mmmmm’.
This is one of those meals.
Sea bass is kind of like the Kate Middleton of all fish – it’s elegant, delicate flavours bring instant sophistication to the dinner table. I find that baking it in the oven as opposed to frying it really locks in the taste, whilst keeping it all in one piece and any kitchen mess to the absolute minimum (always a bonus)!
It also means that you can experiment with the crust – and in this case, I’m all about my trusty kale pesto. It adds an epic crunchy texture to the bass, elevating it in ways that I can’t quite express. I guess it’s a case of ‘make it, taste it, and you’ll see…’
This is super quick and easy to make and will no doubt feed a whole table of hungry bellies. I love keeping the leftover pesto for spreading, dipping or adding to pasta – so just place any leftovers in a jar and have it handy in the fridge for later!
Lots of lemon here is obligatory. It’s zesty brightness is an utter delight on the taste buds, marrying nicely with the creamy pesto and delicate fish.
I highly recommend serving these bad boys up with a simple tomato salad, roasted sweet potato wedges or perhaps some brown rice noodles for the ultimate family dinner or posh lunch if you have the time!
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup cashew nuts
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 handfuls kale
- 3tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 basil leaves
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- 2tbsp water, to thin
- 2 sea bass fillets
- ½ lemon
- Simply combine the almonds, cashew nuts and pine nuts in a food processor for 10 seconds. You don’t want them to go too fine as the crunchiness is what makes it taste so good!
- Lightly steam the kale and add to the nuts and blend with the olive oil, lemon, apple cider vinegar, basil, black pepper and sea salt. Add in a little water if you think it needs to be a thinner consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and lay the sea bass fillets on a baking dish, with the skin facing up. Spread the pesto (generously) on top with a big squeeze the lemon.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve up!