Alright, I know that this might sound a little OTT – but this week, something truly magical happened in my kitchen… And funnily enough – this miraculous discovery has been on regular rotation since. Let’s just say my breakfast game has been a little off recently as I found myself stuck in a boring rut switching from porridge to toast, toast to porridge; Every. Damn. Morning. I put it down to my food intolerances and feeling too comfortable with what the foods I knew I could eat – but that’s obviously just not exciting for me, nor is it exciting for you my audience. There’s only so many times you can post a snap of your apple on yeast free toast, you know? Anyway, I woke up one bright June morning with a new found sense of determination (plus a rumbling stomach to match) and I decided to experiment. Thus, this plateful of pure heaven was the result…
My wonderful readers – allow me to introduce you to these insanely easy to make vegan 3 ingredient crepes; crispy around the edges and melt in the mouth delicious in the middle. Just how I like ’em!
The super sweet warm blueberries combined with creamy banana make the ultimate team for a simple yet seductive filling to compliment the crepe just perfectly – whilst the ‘indulgent’ almond butter drizzle creates a total party in the mouth; making you fall more and more in love with every single bite.
And when all you have to do is whisk up some flour with milk and a pinch of salt – you know you’re on to a winner, right? Being on an egg free diet might mean big fluffy pancakes are not quite as easy to make (real talk: my mind can’t deal with ‘flax eggs’ before 9am), but I can sure as hell find an alternative that is just as tasty and requires as few ingredients as possible.
My flour of choice here is wholemeal spelt – which is really easy to get your hands on in most big supermarkets, totally versatile and also purse friendly; an absolute staple flour for every keen cook/baker, in my opinion. To all my gluten free friends out there – just bare in mind that although spelt is an ancient grain and much easier to digest than other wheat varieties, it still has some glutz in there – so if you’re intolerant then just sub it out for buckwheat. (I haven’t actually tried the recipe with that yet – but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work. Let me know if you do!)
This recipe is perfect for a weekend breakfast when you have that little bit of extra time to prepare yourself something spesh… But hey, if you you’re willing to set your alarm 10 minutes earlier in the name of crepes, then I’m not saying they wouldn’t be achievable for a lil pre-work fuel up!
I mean, the pan could always be washed when you get home… No? 😉
Enough of the talking – let’s do this thang.
- FOR THE CREPE:
- 100g wholemeal spelt flour
- 300ml almond milk
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional - but recommended!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ banana
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- honey/maple syrup, to drizzle
- flaked almonds, optional
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the milk, salt and cinnamon - if using. Stir until a smooth and runny consistency forms and set aside.
- Pour the blueberries in to a saucepan and heat up until completely melted, simmering whilst you prep the crepe.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan on a medium high heat - letting the pan get nice and hot. Thinly spread the batter on to the pan (around 1½ ladel's) and allow to cook for a few minutes until almost cooked through. Turn around and let the other side go golden and nice and crispy around the edges - about another 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, cover half with the blueberries and banana and fold the other half on top, before drizzling the almond butter and honey on top. Crush on some almonds for a little extra crunch. Serves up!