Did I mention I am on an egg free diet for the next 3 months?
That’s on top of going dairy, wheat and yeast free, too.
Ugh… I KNOW.
Like everyone else when I tell them about my intolerance discovery, you’re probably thinking – ‘Well then… What can you eat?’
But when you’re someone who loves to eat as much as me, you always find a way of working around it. I’ll admit that the first week or so was a struggle – and I really missed cracking some farm fresh eggs in to a pan to fulfil my undying love for yolk covered avocado toast. My broken heart soon healed though… And I’m already feeling pretty good for staying strong and avoiding anything egg!
Now as you’ll all already know – protein is absolutely, completely, 100% essential in the morning! I’ll put my hand up now and say that I’ve already made the mistake of heading out the door with a stomach (not so) full of avo on toast alone. Yes, the carbs and fats were there – but the lack of protein in me left me feeling hungry for something more substantial an hour later.
So the next morning, I made this bad boy. Smoked salmon is loaded with omegas and protein to fuel the busiest of mornings – and the addition of grilled asparagus really adds that little extra something as you bite in. Perhaps it does take a little longer to prepare – but if you have a leisurely morning in store, this is hands down the recipe for you! I love it for brunch on a Sunday – paired with a piping hot mug of fresh coffee straight from the cafetiere.
- 1 slice rye bread
- ½ avocado
- 2 large slices smoked salmon
- 6 asparagus tips
- ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 handful greens, finely chopped (I like spinach or fresh basil)
- pink salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill before placing the asparagus tips on a griddle pan. Mix the olive oil, juice of the lemon, garlic, salt and pepper in a small glass before pouring on top, giving it all a shake to ensure the tips are evenly covered in the dressing.
- Put the rye bread in the toaster (twice, to ensure a crispy slice) and the asparagus under the grill for 5 minutes, checking half way to give it another shimmy.
- Mash the avocado on to the toast, then add the salmon, chopped greens and asparagus on top. Add an extra squeeze of lemon and season to taste. Enjoy!