You’re never too old for milk and cookies.
And what better way to enjoy the old favourite than with these deliciously crunchy chocolate orange delights? They’re made with cacao and chia seeds for an extra superfood boost, along with fresh orange zest and ground almonds.
A dream combination for your taste buds and your body!
These are so perfect on a lazy afternoon with a glass of cold almond milk, or the ideal snack to take on the go with you to curb those tempting sweet cravings.
I should probably warn you now – these are highly addictive…
These little beauties are paleo and vegan friendly – as the ground almonds and coconut oil combine to form the ultimate cookie dough that turns super crunchy when cooled after baking.
To boost the goodness even more, I added in some chia seeds for a mega protein boost. Along with them is my beloved cacao powder for that superfood kick, and of course – the decadent flavour that makes me want feel like I’ve died and gone to chocolate heaven!
The combination of chocolate and orange has always been a love of mine, so I also used some fresh orange juice and zest to give it that ‘Terry Chocolate Orange-esque’ taste.
On with the baking!
- Makes 10-15 cookies:
- 200g ground almonds
- 2tsp baking powder
- 4tbsp cacao powder
- 2tbsp coconut sugar
- 2tbsp cacao nibs
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- 3tbsp coconut oil
- 1 orange
- Vanilla essence
- 1tbsp tamari
- 1tbsp rice malt syrup (or more if you’d like them sweeter)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan and squeeze the juice of half an orange in with it, until they form a liquid.
- Pour this in to the dry mix along with the vanilla, zest of the whole orange, tamari and rice malt syrup.
- Give it all a good stir!
- Line a baking tray and grease with coconut oil. Roll the mix in to balls and flatten, pushing down in the middle.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees, for about 15 minutes. Allow them to cool for about 10 minutes so that they can go nice and crunchy.
- Dip in to a glass of almond milk or your favourite cup of tea, or take one (or two) with you to work for the perfect pick me up treat.