From that life changing moment I pulled the roasting tray out of the oven and graced my lips with one of these zesty miso carrot chips – I knew it was a blatant case of ‘love at first bite’. You know the one I mean? I’m talking ’bout the ‘You’re so damn irresistible that I would happily burn my mouth just to get a taste sooner’ kinda love. It’s deep, it’s forever lasting and you know that it will never let you down; but fill you with true happiness, satisfaction… And a whole lot of that heated sexy miso-orange-ginger action. What more could one want?
Although you’d first put these chips down as a side dish (rightly so – they make a mean addition to anything!), they actually also been my go to snack for a solid few weeks now; purely because they’re so easy to prep in batches so you know you’re covered for the next few days. The beauty of roasting vegetables is that you can keep them in the fridge ready to grab whenever hanger calls, and I also think that they taste so much better the next day. They just go that little bit more tender and all of those sumptuous flavours have more time to work their magic on the goods. I used to be a sucker for some form of sweet date bar mid morning/afternoon (that I had to quit – not because I’m anti-sugar but because I have a pesky yeast intolerance) – but now I’m so down with the roasted veggie life that I’m not mad about it one bit. I can 100% recommend delving in to this new way of snacking if you’re looking to cut back on the all those sneaky lil booty calls to ya Sugar Daddy, too…
Now on to the carrots.
The mix of orange, ginger and miso compliment them juuuust peachy – and that aromatic garlic in there really knows how to unite the whole flavour party together. The result? A slightly sweet, delightfully zesty and just the right amount of fiery chip that tastes damn fine simply on it’s own, with a dip of your choice or served up with some protein and greens (My word, can you imagine how insane salmon and kale would be with these?! *Note to self: go buy some salmon and kale. PRONTO*) to make them in to a easy crowd pleasing mid-week side. The finishing sprinkle of sesame adds an extra crunch to make every bite delectable, whilst the chopped coriander compliments the Asian flavours going on like a total dream!
Here’s how you do it:
- 650g carrots, sliced lengthways in to quarters
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 knob ginger, grated
- juice of half an orange
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp olive/avocado oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds and chopped coriander, to garnish
- Start off by making the marinade: In a small bowl, combine the garlic, orange juice, miso paste and ginger to form a paste.
- Chop the tops and bottoms off of the carrots and scrub well before covering the in the paste, ensuring all of them are evenly covered.
- Place them on a lined baking tray and drizzle with the oil and roast in the oven at 180 degrees for 40 minutes, turning half way, until tender.
- Serve up straight away and garnish with the sesame and coriander - or wait to cool before placing in the fridge to have at hand for up to 3 days!