Since spring became, well, ‘a thing’ for 2017 – I have come to one very crucial realisation: Life is better with asparagus.
Sweet, crunchy and oh-SO versatile, the humble asparagus has been making a regular appearance on my plate to instantly inject some serious seasonal delight in to my meals – be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. I know I have already shared a few recipes so far featuring these guys, but let me tell you now that I don’t plan on stopping any time soon! There is nothing asparagus can’t compliment – and in this case we’re talking about my current go to meat free feed!
So this salad isn’t so much of a ‘salad’ as a genuinely satisfying dish; packed to the BRIM with roasted aubergine (AKA the dream meat replacement), sweet carrot, creamy avocado, vibrant beetroot, peppery watercress and of course my go to creamy dressing courtesy of my can’t-live-without kitchen staple: tahini.
Although the combination is a little mix and matchy (although having said that, doesn’t that always make the best meals?!), the flavours and textures all get along like a house on fire and ensure that every single bite you take is just as delicious as the last – and, if you’re anything like me, will have you licking that bowl clean!
I can see this being the perfect side to share alongside salmon or chicken – or simply enjoy it on it’s own for a perfectly satisfying meatless meal. And for extra points? Try making extra to take with you to work the next day! Just make the dressing separately and pour on top right before devouring to ensure none of the goods end up getting soaked in the box.
- 1 small aubergine, sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful watercress
- 1 cooked beetroot bulb, chopped
- 5 spears asparagus
- 1 tsp tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp tamari
- water, to thin
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with paper. Assemble the aubergine and carrot before drizzling with oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes until tender.
- Steam the asparagus until cooked to your liking (I like to keep mine crunchy!) and then prepare the dressing by combining the tahini with the lemon, tamari and water to make a paste.
- Place the aubergine slices in a bowl and throw everything in together before dressing with the tahini. Season up and dig in!