I wasn’t particularly looking to create a recipe for my blog when I threw this lil concoction together; in fact, it was more of a ‘throw whatever is in the fridge on to a plate’ kinda lunch (also my favourite kind)!
But when I plated it up, saw it’s undeniably Instagrammable beauty and tasted them fiiiine ass flavours it had going on – I knew it was too good not to share…
First off, you’ve got the black quinoa. Now this grain has a bit more crunch about it than the white variety, giving a be-a-utifully moreish texture each and every time that you take a bite in.
Then, those super sexy smokey flavours from the salmon start coming through; the delicious saltiness giving the salad just the right amount of pep, all whilst boosting the protein and amping up those healthy fats to make this a genuinely substantial salad. Yep, a salad that actually fills you… You better believe it folks!
This is all paired with of course with a colourful array of produce: Like the unmistakable crunchy tenderstem broccoli, sweet ribbons of carrot, iron rich wilted spinach (I think it’s fair to say that Pop Eye would have given his seal of approval here) aaaand of course, a lil’ avocado action. Because we all know a meal isn’t complete until that bad boy makes his regular appearance. Amiright?
I’ve also given a subtle nod to our Asian friends here with a gingery tamari dressing that really ties everything together on this plate… Actually, let me change that. I’d happily put this dressing on everything I eat. Sure, it might be simple; but boy oh boy does it dress up a dish like no other! I love the way dressings can elevate whatever tasty feed you’ve got to a whole new level – and the fact that it’s providing you with extra nutrients is a total bonus. Think stomach soothing ginger and lemon to stimulate dem digestive juices and help your gut digest all that beautifying food you’re nurturing yourself with. Remember, a happy gut is a happy bod! Damn, why does saying that sound so… Mainstream?!
Anyway – huuuur it is. I hope you enjoy – and remember, this is another ‘make once, eat twice’ dish perfect for packing in the ol’ faithful tup-a-ware tomorrow!
- 180g cooked black quinoa
- 4 slices smoked salmon, sliced in to strips
- 10 stems tenderstem broccoli
- 3 large handfuls spinach
- 1 large carrot
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ lemon
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Simply steam the broccoli until al dente, about 5 minutes, along with the spinach. This will only take about 1 minute to wilt so keep a close eye here!
- Meanwhile make the dressing by combining the lemon juice with the olive oil, tamari, ginger and garlic. It’s best to use a blender to get a smooth consistency, but you can also just make it in a small glass and stir well with a teaspoon until well mixed.
- Ribbon the carrot using a vegetable peeler before adding to the quinoa, smoked salmon, avocado, broccoli, spinach. Pour the dressing on top, season to taste and dig in!