So did I ever tell you that I’m actually a professional bowler in my spare time?
Needless to say, this bowl right here won me a clean STRIKE!
What can I say? When this season has blessed us with some seriously beautiful produce, it makes prepping salads that actually leave you feeling satisfied pretty damn easy.
So what’s in the bowl this time?
We got some spicy chickpea action going on (make a batch and keep handy for the next few days… then thank me later) along with a my top picks of season, asparagus and radish; both of which add a MUCH anticipated hit of spring vibrancy and effortlessly brings salads to life in no time.
Asparagus can be prepped in so many different ways (try roasting, grilling, stir frying) – but to be honest I find that steaming is the easiest and fastest way to get it on your plate and in to your stomach – plus you’re still locking in those game changing spring flavours.
And as for radishes? You’re going to want to stock up on these whilst they’re HOT and so cheap to buy – never underestimate the power of a few radish slices here and there to really elevate your every day bowl to the next level. There is nothing quite like that deliciously sweet crunchiness come this time of year – particularly here when it’s combined with the creamy avocado and super tender grilled fennel.
Might I recommend making this for lunch al fresco when you have a spare half hour to savour it at home – or to just prep the night before ready to with you to take to work? There’s just one key tip to keep in mind: If you are planning on making this bad boy as a not-sad-desk-lunch, just be sure to add that dreamy herb dressing right before you go in for the feed! Nothing kills your food prep game like a box full of sad and soggy vegetables. Take it from someone who learned the hard way.
Hope you enjoy this one, beauts!
- 1 tin organic chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 handful fresh greens
- 1 small carrot, ribboned (using a veg peeler)
- 1 beetroot, cooked
- ½ fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 radishes, chopped
- 5 asparagus spears
- ½ lemon
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp mixed herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- Make the chickpeas by tossing them in a bowl with the coconut oil, spices, salt and pepper before spreading on a lined roasting tray to cook for 25 minutes on 180 degrees.
- Meanwhile, drizzle some oil on the fennel and season before placing under the grill. Cook on either side for 4 minutes until nicely done!
- Steam the asparagus for a few minutes before assembling in a bowl with the salad, carrot, beetroot, avocado, chickpeas and radish.
- Combine the lemon juice with the garlic, olive oil, lemon and herbs and drizzle on top. Bon appetit!