Any one else feeling pleasantly surprised by the extended summer we’re getting over here in the UK right now?
In all fairness – I’d say that England has done pretty well with (nearly) defying all stereotypes about having crappy weather through out the summer; the past week for example has been nothing but sun, shorts and shades for most of the vitamin D deprived country.
Just when we thought you were going to have to whip out our woolen garm’s and prance in to Starbucks for their infamous pumpkin spice lattes… I give it a week before that annual scenario becomes a reality!
And so, I’ve been squeezing out the last remaining spell of heat by taking every opportunity to eat outside and create dishes that ooze with bright, juicy and fresh ingredients that instantly transport you straight to a white sandy beach that has Pina Colada’s on tap. You know, that’s if you close your eyes and think hard enough. Oh c’mon… That garden pond is almost the same as the crystal clear sea water, right?
Okay – so maybe I got a little carried away there. But this tropical inspired pancake number will give you a subtle taste of those idyllic post card scenes – particularly if you’re feeling a little blue, what with the September ‘back to work’ feels most people are experiencing right now.
The combination of super sweet mango and passion fruit really bring this stack of buckwheat pancakes to life; it actually reminded me of the flavours you get from an exotic cocktail, minus the alcohol. Let’s at least keep it clean before 12pm, shall we guys?
Finish off with a generous drizzle of the tahini, cinnamon and honey sauce (sounds slightly fancy shmancy, couldn’t be more simple) and you’re on to quite a winner – whether it’s a quiet breakfast to yourself or a communal brunch with your friends at the weekend.
Ahh, flip it. Enough of the yabba yabba, let’s get our pancake on!
- 5 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50ml almond milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp water
- ½tsp honey
- ¼ mango
- ½ passion fruit
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut, to sprinkle
- 2 tbsp coconut or organic yoghurt, to serve
- In a bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Crack in the egg and a splash of almond milk and whisk until you get your desired consistency.
- Heat a non stick pan on a medium high heat with the coconut oil and use a spoon to create small pancakes, letting them cook on either side until golden. Repeat until all the mix is gone!
- In a small glass/bowl, mix together the tahini, honey and cinnamon with a splash of water until smooth.
- Serve up the pancakes, top with the yoghurt, passion fruit and mango - then drizzle the sauce on top. Sprinkle with your coconut and EAT.